Re: LNT model question

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000 FIELDRW@aol.com wrote:

> Field Response: As we suggested before (see references below), the risk model
> you derive from the BEIR IV model is not equivalent to the BEIR IV risk
> model.  You attempted to equate the model to the BEIR IV model by applying
> rigid assumptions that include: 1) The time spent in the home is the same for
> all individuals; 2) radon exposures occurring outside the home do not
> contribute to lung cancer risk; 3) baseline lung cancer mortality is solely a
> function of age and smoking; 4) all smokers have the same increased risk of
> mortality; 5) smoking duration and intensity is the same for everyone; 6) age
> is the only modifying effect of radon exposure; and 7) radon concentration is
> directly proportional to the delivered dose from the radon progeny.

	--Anyone with experience in mathematical derivations will
recognize that it would be impossible to take every little possible
complicating detail into account in a mathematical derivation. All of
these issues have been addressed elsewhere in my publications. Items 1, 2,
and 7 were addressed in Table 1 and associated discussion in my paper in
Health Physics 75:23-28;1998. Item 4 is the assumption of BEIR-IV that I
was starting with. Item 5 is most fully analyzed in two forthcoming papers
accepted for publication in Health Physics and J. Radiol Prot. These also
cover Item 4. Items 3 and 6 are covered by my responses to the other
items.
	Can you explain how these problems are handled in case-control
studies?

> Your
> relative risk model is only valid if these assumptions are not violated.  You
> previously have  attempted in your published manuscripts to support your own
> primary assumptions by use of secondary assumptions or qualifying statements
> like: 1) "On average, people spend 75% of their time in the home…"; 2) "…
> average radon levels are generally much higher in homes …"; 3) "…..
> workplaces of various counties would strongly tend to be proportional ….." ;
> 4) "….. it is generally agreed that radon gas level is a much better
> indicator than WLM of radiation dose in homes …."; and 5) "This crudely
> introduces the pack-years concept".  The very foundation of your assumptions
> that you use to equate your risk model to the BEIR IV Risk Model is based
> further on poorly documented assumptions.  The assumptions all have both an
> error associated with them and a very significant NON-LINEAR component, which
> as previously pointed out, can not be quantitatively described.  The BEIR IV
> model, unlike your model, is not confined by either your primary or secondary
> assumptions.

	--This came out somewhat garbled, but as well as I can understand
them, these issues are coverd in my above citations

> Dr. Cohen wrote - "This correlation is favorable for verifying LNT. If
> smoking  rates were positively correlated, my correction for smoking would
> have  increased the discrepancy with LNT. The negative correlation I adopted
> reduced the discrepancy. The effects of various assumed correlations  between
> smoking prevalence and mean radon levels are presented in my 1995  paper. If
> the negative correlation were perfect, the discrepancy with LNT would have
> been cut in half."
>
> Field Response:  My question regarded why you felt you found such a strong
> inverse association between mean county radon concentrations and your
> estimated county smoking rates.  I do not think this can be explained merely
> by an urban/rural phenomenon.

	--I think it can be explained by the urban-rural effect, but the
explanation is irrelevant to the issue under discussion, which is finding
an explanation for the large discrepancy between predictions of LNT and
our data.

> It would be interesting to see if this inverse
> association held for living area measurements, rather than basement
> measurements.

	--My analyses include both living area and basement measurements,
and the results are similar for both.

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh