RE: LNT models -Constancy of Radon levels over time??

>the EPA literature always indicates that Radon levels
>are higher in an energy effiecient home.
This is what we got when many buildings were tightened around 1975 to save
energy - the radon levels went up strongly. Then various (and sometimes
quite costly depending on the construction of the building) ventilation
programs came into the picture. I remember this because one of our
Parliament members attacked the head of the Swedish radiation protection
institute, SSI, because she was of the opinion that construction of
buildings etc was not was not a business of the SSI. I don't think that she
ever apologized.
There was probably a handful of homes by that time that would give you an
annual effective whole body dose in the order of 500 mSv (50000 mrem, and
with a much higher dose to the lung) as the tail of a skewed distribution.
Lots of homes (perhaps several hundred thousand - I am not sure - maybe
someone at SSI can help me with deatils here) were above 400 Bq/m3 by that
time. The highest value I ever heard of was measured by a friend of mine
(who specialized on radon) in northern Sweden - he found 44000 Bq/m3 in one
home. They had some respiratory problems in that home but it is of course
just one isolated case ("Feinman trap" statistics). The level was otherwise
enough for opening a local spa...

My own reflections only,

Bjorn Cedervall  bcradsafers@hotmail.com
http://www.geocities.com/bjorn_cedervall/