Re: LNT models -Constancy of Radon levels over time??

Harold.Reynolds@rfets.gov writes:

<< In doing hundreds of radon tests in Central Pennsylvania in the 1980s, I
 found no correlation between age/energy efficiency and radon levels.  I
 found very high levels in some old leaky structures and some very low levels
 in new very tight structures.  >>
==============

The issue is not whether some specific "old leaky structures" may be found to
have very low levels of radon and other specific "new very tight structures"
may have some very low levels. Measurements in PA, an area known to have very
wide variations in radium in soil due to well documented influence of the
Redding Prong, are likely to be quite variable home to home.

Any one general type of construction will have a wide distribution of mean
radon levels given siting in different areas with a wide range of radium in
soil or soil permeability, or radon in water, or any number of other factors
on radon inputs to a given home.

The key issue is what happens when a given home is made energy efficient.
Does the average radon level tend to go up? Numerous studies have shown this
to be the case with rare exceptions. The point being that as the average
housing stock is made more energy efficient, the mean indoor radon level will
increase.

I could dig out dozens of studies on specific homes that show that energy
efficiency measures [installing storm windows, increased insulation, vapor
barriers, caulking, draft stoppers, etc.] taken on a single home, assessed by
before and after measurements on that same home, lead to average increases in
radon levels that are not insignificant. Thus, my questioning the constancy
of radon over time for the average mix of homes over time [i.e.: it
increasing over the past 25 or more years, on average, in the indoor
environment] is valid.

Has the "average" home [the mix of older homes-upgraded or not in energy
efficiency, and new construction housing stock] seen an increase in mean
radon level indoors due to changes in energy efficiency measures over the
past 40 years? I believe this is quite likely, and that this is a very
important point that cannot be dismissed or simply brushed aside by looking
at radon measurements for different homes [even if of the same general
construction] in different places.

Stewart Farber
Public Health Sciences
email: radiumproject@cs.com