Personnel Contamination Reporting Levels

Radsafers,

Per DOE Orders, any measurement of personnel or clothing contamination
exceeding 5000 dpm/100cm^2 beta-gamma or 500 dpm/100cm^2 alpha (both limits
are fixed plus removable) requires written notification to DOE in 24 hours.
In addition, at SRS we have added additional 2-hour notifications to
various on-site managers.

My questions are; at what personnel contamination levels do you report the
incident to your regulator(s) be they state, local, or federal? What time
period do you use for reporting?  Is the report written and/or oral?  Also,
at what contamination level(s) would you start calling managers at 2:00 am
to tell them someone stepped in the CA while removing PCs and has a
contaminated shoe?

Please respond to me directly unless you feel others on the list would
benefit by your response.

Any opinions expressed are mine and do not represent those of Westinghouse
or DOE.

Dennis Hadlock, RRPT, CHMM
Senior Health Physicist
Westinghouse Savannah River Company