NDT of diagnostic x-ray rooms

dear all

we have a need to perform NDT of diagnostic x-ray rooms (perhaps up to 2.5 mm lead) in remote locations i.e. need a procedure which is simple, versatile and very transportable.  we are thinking of using a sealed source of Am-241 in a suitable container & a sensitive survey meter-type detector.

i have 2 questions:

1.  is this the optimum method?  what do others do?

2. where can we obtain a >= 500 mCi Am-241 source?

many thanks!
 David Thiele PhD
 Manager, Statewide Medical Physics
 Biomedical Engineering & Health Technology Services (7D)
 Royal Brisbane Hospital
 Herston  Qld  4029
 Australia