Re: NDT of diagnostic x-ray rooms

Dear David,

You can use a Tc-99m source, which should be readily available from your
nuclear medicine department.  Use the lead pig as a shield and collimator
and point the open top at the wall of interest.  In the past I have used  a
Co-57 dose calibrator source too.  Transmission through lead for Tc-99m is
approximately:

0.1 mm lead - 65.5%
1 mm lead - 8.1%
2 mm lead - 0.8%

You can use a geiger counter to make the measurements.  Have fun.

Dave Derenzo

At 04:54 PM 03/13/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>dear all
>
>we have a need to perform NDT of diagnostic x-ray rooms (perhaps up to 2.5
>mm lead) in remote locations i.e. need a procedure which is simple,
>versatile and very transportable.  we are thinking of using a sealed
>source of Am-241 in a suitable container & a sensitive survey meter-type
>detector.
>
>i have 2 questions:
>
>1.  is this the optimum method?  what do others do?
>
>2. where can we obtain a >= 500 mCi Am-241 source?
>
>many thanks!
>  David Thiele PhD
>  Manager, Statewide Medical Physics
>  Biomedical Engineering & Health Technology Services (7D)
>  Royal Brisbane Hospital
>  Herston  Qld  4029
>  Australia

Dave Derenzo, RSO (dave@uic.edu)
UIC Radiation Safety Section, M/C 932
Phones: Voice (312) 996-1177  Fax: (312) 996-8776