Re: New dosimeter for emergency personnel

Hi Phil,

I agree with almost everything you say . In the end, the situation
dictates which is the best dosimeter. Hell, even the old CDV-700 GM
detectors are adequate in some cases. Yes, the responders need some
method to quickly identify a hazardous situation, but the device
needs to be able to identify what they may be exposed to. That was my
main point. If the responder is wearing one or more of these litmus
test devices, and it can't measure airborne beta or other emitting
isotopes, they will not know that they are in a potential serious
situation. This is similar to an individual who wears an alarming
electronic dosimeter, who relies on the alarm to sound before they
act, not realizing that the sound has been deactivated due to a
broken speaker wire. It's just prudent to be fully cognizant of what
the environment you are in, and, to ensure that what you rely on, is
adequate for that environment.

I guess, I'll exit this thread now. Without more data on the specific
device, we're all shooting from the hip. We need specifics.

> Of course more details would be needed before making decisions about
> issuing the dosimeters to any specific organization.  All I'm saying is the
> information from these dosimeters could be useful in a lot of situations
> that don't call for anything complicated enough to support eventual dose
> reconstruction.  Any safety technology used poorly can give a false sense
> of security.  Unless you are going to put a well equipped HP on every
> ambulance, fire truck, and in every police car, there is going to be a
> place for dosimeters like this.  It sounds to me like they could be used
> roughly the way pencil dosimeters have been used, but without the fragility
> problems.  There will be other problems, but the cost benefit analysis is
> up to the individual who decides to use these dosimeters instead of another
> technology.  Let's just hope that individual has the knowledge and
> judgement to make a wise choice.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205