Cohen's ecological data: a test of LNT?

This my last shot!

Cohen and I agree that LNT is a causal relationship. Howevever, I am now
totally confused about whether Cohen's data tests for a causal relationship.
In his April 1997 paper in Health Physics (page 625), Cohen indicates that
his data do not test for a causal relationship but has a much more limited
objective. Now Cohen says that his data tests for a causal relationship.
Which is  it? Either the data test for a causal relationship or thery don't!

If the data test for a causal relationship, as Cohen now states, then the
ecological fallacy becomes operative. If the data do not test for a causal
relationbship, then the data are not a test of LNT because LNT is a causal
relationship (as Cohen and I now agree).

Kenneth L. Mossman
Professor of Health Physics
Director, Office of Radiation Safety
Arizona State University