Re: Cohen's ecological data: a test of LNT?

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Ken Mossman wrote:

> Cohen states  that "LNT is a special case of a causal relationship." I do
> not understand this statement. There is no "special case." LNT IS
> unconditionally a causal relationship. It is no more or no less a causal
> relationship than a curvilinear dose-response, or threshold dose-response,
> etc.

	--LNT is a causal relationship, but there are other types of
causal relationship -- curvilinear, etc. Thus, LNT is a "special case" of
a causal relationship, as that term is ordinarily used.

> My logic is quite simple and straight forward:
>
> 1.	LNT is a causal relationship.
> 2.	Cohen's data does not test for a causal relationship (in order to
> avoid the ecological fallacy).
> 3.	Therefore, Cohen's data does not test LNT.

	--1. Should be "LNT is one type of causal relationship"
	--2. Should be "Cohen's data does not test all possible types of
causal relationship"
	--3. Should be "Cohen's data tests only one type of causal
relationship, namely LNT. It does not test any of the other types"

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260