Re: New dosimeter for emergency personnel

Of course more details would be needed before making decisions about
issuing the dosimeters to any specific organization.  All I'm saying is the
information from these dosimeters could be useful in a lot of situations
that don't call for anything complicated enough to support eventual dose
reconstruction.  Any safety technology used poorly can give a false sense
of security.  Unless you are going to put a well equipped HP on every
ambulance, fire truck, and in every police car, there is going to be a
place for dosimeters like this.  It sounds to me like they could be used
roughly the way pencil dosimeters have been used, but without the fragility
problems.  There will be other problems, but the cost benefit analysis is
up to the individual who decides to use these dosimeters instead of another
technology.  Let's just hope that individual has the knowledge and
judgement to make a wise choice.

Phil

At 11:05 AM 3/17/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Philip,
>
>The probability as you pointed out is a factor, but, the
>characteristics of the dosimeter need to be addressed, as I pointed
>out. If the characteristics aren't well defined, then the information
>gained from using the device may provide a "false" sense of security.
>None of the specifications are provided, and without them, no
>decision as to the viability of the dosimeter can be ascertained.
>Without that information, how do you send in an emergency worker into
>an area, where there are always unknowns?

>Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
>Director, Technical				Extension 2306
>ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149

>ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

>ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

>Costa Mesa, CA 92626
>
>Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205
>ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com

Philip Hypes
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Safeguards Science and Technology Group (NIS 5)
(505) 667-1556  phypes@lanl.gov

Opinions expressed are purely my own unless otherwise noted