Re: Austrian opposition against Temelin

At 17:01 21.03.2000 -0600, you wrote:

>Franz, was this also ignored in your local media ?    ...thanks,   Jaro.
>
>http://www.ctknews.com/monctk.html
>SPOe launches "objection campaign" against Temelin
>VIENNA, March 20 (CTK) - The Austrian opposition Social Democrat (SPOe)
>deputy Ulli Simao and "Team for Vienna" started distributing postcards that
>Austrians can send the Czech Environment Ministry with their objections to
>the construction of the nuclear power plant Temelin, south Bohemia, in
>Vienna today.
>The SPOe press department in Vienna said that the campaign was connected to
>the planned discussion on changes in Temelin's auxiliary plants since not
>only Czechs but also foreigners including Austrians can send Czech
>authorities their objections, according to the law on environment impact
>assessment.
>Simao said that "every signature counts" adding that it was the first time
>that Austrians could state their objections.

I have been last week in Cordoba at the IAEA conference on Radioactive
Waste Management. But today I saw such a postcard shown by a collegue of
mine at the Federal Chancellery. I really do not know about the reaction of
the Austrian press, because I have not been in Austria.

In order to compensate you for the not-possible answer to your direct
question I would like to inform you that "Ulli Sima" (Ulli is the short
form for Ulrike and is obviously used by her to create positive emotions
for her among lower class persons) is a former member of the green party,
who had several positions in the green party, but who changed to the SPOe
very shortly before the last election, "probably" in order to be more
successful and to reach higher positions in politics than would have been
possible in the green party. Of course she will tell you that she did this
only for the sake of the environment.

We face everywhere in the world the problem of protest. I do not want to
blame the Czech authorities for giving Austrians the possibility to put
forward their "objections", but then it should not be surprising that they
take the chance for their agitation.

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Office:
Hofrat Dr. Franz Schoenhofer
Bundeskanzleramt (Federal Chancellery), VI/8
Radetzkystr. 2
A-1031 Vienna
AUSTRIA

phone: -43-1-71172-4458