Update - state regulations - quarterly film requirements

First of all let me thank Cynthia, Walter, Matt, Paul and Dave for
providing me with information regarding the current regulatory
environment in their state. Cynthia provided new information to me
where not all of NY state imposed limitations on quarterly film
monitoring. The state of IL does not categorically state this within
the regulations, but still requires monthly film. I am not sure if
this is acceptable, without there being a specific regulation. The
state does have instructional sets  which I have been trying to find
on their site. I would think that instructional sets can not and
should not contradict what's in a regulation, similar to Reg Guides
(unless made part of the license) can't be used to make regulation,
within the NRC world.

I also spoke to a supervisor in Texas, and learned that they do not
prohibit quarterly film monitoring. The individual told me that the
hospital licensing board had a statement about monthly film, and that
they have met asking that their licensing certifications be
consistent with the state's regulations, since the radiation
protection department did not have any concerns for a facility
wearing a quarterly film.

Again, I've learned some new information, and thank everyone for
providing the information.

Paul Lavely suggested that I contact the CRCPD Council of Rad
Protection Program Directors, providing them documented data
supporting quarterly film. In that way, perhaps all states can come
to a consistent policy for rulemaking. That was an excellent
suggestion. Per Walter's suggestion, my staff is providing FL with
the necessary documentation to allow quarterly film to be used in the
Safety Requirements for Possession and Use of Sealed and Unsealed RAM
program.

In conclusion, I firmly believe that only Radiographers who wear a
film dosimeter should be restricted to a monthly wear period. It was
comforting to see that except for a couple of states, all currently
accept quarterly film.

Thanks again to all those who responded, and to those who will
respond in the future.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205