dose records

At 10:44 27.03.2000 -0600, you wrote:
>I agree that each facility should determine the  lowest recordable dose.
The basis
>for this determination should be documented.
>
>I have a problem, however, with simply telling your dosimetry vendor not
to report
>valid readings below x mrem, especially if there is no formal
justification.

I have as usual no clue about the legislation in the USA, but an
accreditated measurement laboratory would have in Europe to report the
values measured, including of course the error. The customer cannot ask the
accreditated laboratory not to report values below a certain value. The
laboratory has to measure in accordance with the "state of art", which sure
is not in the range of 1mSv (100 mrem). I do not believe that any authority
would accept values like "below 1 mSv". Certainly I would not.

A lot
>of radiation injury litigation is based on very low doses, and it is
likely that
>plaintiff's attorney will make a big deal out of ignoring valid readings.

This is actually the point because of which I do not understand the
discussion. I do not understand, which advantage the suppression of well
detectable doses should have. As far as I understand compensation of
plaintiffs may rise to millions of dollars (may I remind you on the hot
coffee from McDonalds...) irrespective whether a real health damage has
been done.

More than the above reasonings I wonder what kind of employees you
RADSAFERs have, that you cannot tell them about 10 or 15 microSievert
received. Have'nt you given them a careful introduction into the meaning of
doses, have'nt you explained to them, what 10 microSievert means? Having to
hide low doses is in my opinion a sign of weakness.

Regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Office:
Hofrat Dr. Franz Schoenhofer
Bundeskanzleramt (Federal Chancellery), VI/8
Radetzkystr. 2
A-1031 Vienna
AUSTRIA

phone: -43-1-71172-4458