Re: Shipping Internationally

IATA regs for LQ are similar to USDOT.
The inner package must be labelled "RADIOACTIVE." (the outer package is not
permitted under IATA)
The way bill should include the words:  "Radioactive Material, Excepted
Package-Limited Quantity of Material"
There should be no other markings or labellings on the outside of the package.
IATA does not require the exception statement contained in 49 CFR 173.422, but I
would put one inside the package anyway, to comply with USDOT while it is in the
US.

|--------+---------------------------->
|        |          Andrew Buchan     |
|        |          <Andrew.Buchan@ehs|
|        |          .ucsb.edu>        |
|        |                            |
|        |          03/29/00 01:16 PM |
|        |          Please respond to |
|        |          radsafe           |
|        |                            |
|--------+---------------------------->
  |       To:     Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>   |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Nicholas J Harmon/Pecon/Genco)                         |
  |       Subject:     Shipping Internationally                                |

Hello,
I am in the process of shipping an limited quantity package
to Switzerland. I am going through the IATA Dangerous Goods
regs to make sure I have everything covered. Its only some
activated metal. No other hazard involved.
Does anyone have anything inparticular they know about
shipping to Switzerland that I should be aware of or would
help make sure this goes smoothly?

I would appreciate any information.

Thank you.

Andrew

Andrew Buchan     tel: 805-893-7256
UC Santa Barbara  fax: 805-893-8659
email: Andrew.Buchan@ehs.ucsb.edu
The above are my opinions and not neccesarily those of UCSB.

Have you been sent a virus warning or some other internet plea that you are
asked to
forward to everyone you know? Check out http://www.snopes.com first, and see if
that
warning or what have you,isn't just another hoax.