Re: RADSAFE digest 3050

In a message dated 3/29/00 2:20:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu writes:

<< Jim,

 > I believe it was you who, a couple of years ago, created a web site
promoting
 > all sorts of  theories about aliens (the little green men types),  area 51
 > etc.  Have you turned your attention to health effects around Oak Ridge
now?
 > I mention this because I don't want anyone to accept your comments above as
 > being the result of a careful and reasoned analysis of the situation.
 >  >>
==========

Good evening Mr Holloway,

   I  believe your perception or recollection is not too solid there, never
talked about little green persons.   Did however discuss some human
experiments on Panama natives and such that appeared in some of the Human
Experiments testimonies,  which I also heard about in discussions with some
FEMA HP's that were at the test shots.    I even discuss Area 51's secrecy,
their past history of nuclear propulsion development, black project STEALH
lingo, and some lack of disclosures there----along with a lot of pollution
effects for workers and downwind communities.    If your more correct in your
depiction, this would be so.   I also referred to some of the funny nicknames
we used for projects, perhaps you confuse these.

   As for my opionion, just listed.   The DOE H&S hearings being run by
DOE-HQ and Asst. Sec. David Michaels have in abundance at least a few hundred
sick workers per DOE gas diffusion site that give eyewitness accounts of UF-6
releases over the decades of the gas diffusion plant operations.   There are
detailed accounts of all kinds of UF-6 releases that were done----off the
record------and the HQ folks doing these reports also well point this out.
So, please don't take my word for any of that, however, do feel free to do
look up the publically posted transcripts from the Paducah gaseous diffusion
plant, the Oak Ridge gasseous diffusion plant, and the Portsmouth gasseous
diffusion plant and see for yourself.

   Also, feel free to look up Univ of Rochester studies that show in gas
diffusion UF-6 exposures that the fluorine atoms outnumber the uranium by a
thousand to one-------justly showing that this was a known effect in the late
40's by these plants and the HP communities there.

   Then I would hope to see you further study the possibility of health
effects from these releases of toxic fluorides.   Also, do note that UF-6
reacts with moist air to produce HF, which is a cumulative poison gas.
Limit values around 3 ppm and if some of it converts of OF2, then 50 ppb.
Also, note with the K-25 gasseous difffusion upgrade programs the gas
diffusion plant began running at above atmospheric pressures that made the
UF-6 losses worse in the 80's.   There were many holes in DUF-6 storage
cylinders, and leaking valves, some where the monel metal was dissolved.
Then note the D&D processes of 93-94 time frame cut open the systems to moist
air, and there is an overwhelming correlation to sick folks in that building,
that had the air circulation stopped.   The please do your research and look
in research data bases like MEDLINE and others and note that the fluorine ion
effects damage the thyroid and the bone and cause neurological problems as
well.     After all, the HF is much more volatile than heavy old uranium dust
that happens to be soluble hexavalent forms.

  Then, continue to not take my word for one thing.   Notice from human
dosimeters themselves their ills.   The strong presence of arthritic and
asthma like symptoms, which is similar to effects seen in the aluminum
industry pot line workers.   Then notice they all have some sort of bone and
joint pain, and that fluorine concentrates in the bone.   Also, notice the
recently released Joint Center report on the community of Scarboro that
reports increased bone breaks, which is also a problem with low level long
term exposues to fluorides, as it makes bones brittle.

   I have also noticed that the city of Oak Ridge has this odd effect, when
the hospital gets bigger----the town mall appears to loose occupancy-----not
to mention the realtors scream about folks moving away.     Then there is
this odd effect downwind of and around the Oak Ridge gasseous diffusion
plant, where many pine trees died.   This also is real common downwind of Al
companies that release HF into the atmosphere.

  Are fluorides a problem, sure, they have long been cited in industry texts.
  Were fluorides released in gas diffusion operations, sure, more than is
being reported.

   So, please do your careful study and tell me your detailed opinion on just
why their appear to be thousands of sick workers all complaining of ills that
dominately fit fluoride effects?

  And do so, by not taking my careful study, but do follow the publically
posted information sources on the web.    I happen to follow these things
very closely, went to the Thompson hearings, worked on the inside in OR at
one time.   Had a Q, the whole nine yards.

Thanks for you comments, I found them amusing,

Jim Phelps, Oak Ridge