Re: Food irradiation

At 08:38 AM 4/3/00 -0500, you wrote:

>If you want accurate information on food and nutrition, the health food
store is not the bastion of science you may think it to be.  There's just
as much "promotion" as there is anywhere else.  More importantly, the
"organic growers turned health experts" play fast and loose with the facts
¯- much like your complaints with the "pro-nuke" folks (although not well
substantiated on your part).

Personally, I'd expect a lot more "promotion" there than elsewhere.  One
look at most of the prices and any sane human being would need a lot of
convincing....  The growth of the organic food industry and the stores that
sell this stuff is a triumph of technophobia over science.  If all those
preservatives and chemicals are so terrible, why has the life expectancy in
the US climbes so much this century?  Granted there are many complicating
factors influencing the increase in life expectancy, but the nasty stuff in
food obviously isn't bad enough to keep an average US resident from getting
pretty darn close to 80.

Philip Hypes
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Safeguards Science and Technology Group (NIS 5)
(505) 667-1556  phypes@lanl.gov

Opinions expressed are purely my own unless otherwise noted