Re[2]: Fiesta Ware and DU ammunition

 From some of the web sites I explored, the Fiesta color that is being
sought is officially called Red, although it looks more like orange to me.

There are a lot of Fiesta sites out there, but the following info came from :

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Cafe/1953/fiesta/fiesta.html

"Fiesta is born

In January 1936, Homer Laughlin Company introduced Fiesta, designed by
Fredrick Rhead. Remember this was
the depression, and art deco was waning from the 20's. Streamlining held a
new glimmer of hope, and bright
colors were the norm in the home.

Fiesta was introduced in red, ivory, cobalt blue, light green and yellow.
Turquoise was added in mid 1937. Red
was temporarily discontinued in 1943 because the government seized control
of the uranium that was necessary
for the production of red. Ivory, cobalt blue, and light green were
discontinued in 1950; and gray, rose,
chartreuse, and dark green were their replacements. Gray, rose, chartreuse
and dark green exited in 1959 as
red returned from war and medium green was born (as if the Christ child of
all Fiesta colors). Fiesta Casuals
began production in 1962. Amberstone started in 67, and Casuals took a bow
in 68. Then all Fiesta took a bow in
69, when it was restyled into Ironstone for 1970, and Casualstone was made
too. Mango Red (the same as
Vintage Red, just in Ironstone shapes) was discontinued in 1972, then
Ironstone and Casualstone were
discontinued in 1973. Thus, Fiesta as we knew it ended....

Post Modern Fiesta

Fiesta was reintroduced in 1986, for the 50th Anniversary of Fiesta's
of the art deco look was again fashionable, and other dinnerware companies
still were imitating the look of Fiesta
in it's absence, (which actually has always been the case since the late
30's). Hence the word "Genuine" for all
HLC Fiesta since the 30's.

The new five colors were cobalt blue, rose, white, apricot, and black.
Turquoise, yellow, periwinkle blue, sea
mist green were added after the original five. Lilac was produced in 1994
and 1995 (though some pieces show
production dates of early 97). Persimmon was added 1996. Sapphire was
produced in late 1997 for Bloomindales,
and was produced for only 6 months. Chartreuse was introduced in 1998, and
will continue until the end of 1999.
Gray was introduced in late 1998, and will be a new standard color,
replacing apricot and the seldom produced
black.

Is New Fiesta is made from the original molds?

Some of the current Fiesta shapes are obviously the original shapes from
the 36-69 era (the gravy boat, the
demitasse cup, the nappy, the tripods) some are closer to the ironstone
restyle (the tea cup, the individual sugar
bowl, the individual creamer, the 10" & 13" oval platters) and some are
completely new (the mini disk pitcher,
the handled serving platter, napkin rings, etc.) "

Dave

At 08:26 AM 04/03/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>      The new (1990s) color is called persimmon and does not look quite the
>      same as the 1930s-1950s red orange uranium glaze. Most sellers know
>      the difference so it pays to ask. If they don't know for sure, shop
>      with somone who does. And you are correct, the new glaze does not
>      contain uranium.
>
>      bill
>      william.ctr.kolb@faa.gov

>_________________________________
>Subject: RE: Fiesta Ware and DU ammunition
>Author:  <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu> at SMTPGate
>Date:    04/02/2000 8:08 PM
>

>snip....
>

>Radsafers,
>
>I looked at the Fiestaware plate for sale on eBay. I believe it is a NEW
>plate with no radioactivity. I.e., it has no Uranium salt coloration. It is
>only the old Fiestware that is "hot".
>
>I have seen new, non-radioactive, Fiestaware in department stores like
>Macy's, Stern's, etc.
>
>Regards,
>Wes Van Pelt
>mailto://vanpeltw@idt.net
>
>PS. Please do not reply and tell me everything is radioactive!  :)

Dave Derenzo, RSO (dave@uic.edu)
UIC Radiation Safety Section, M/C 932
Phones: Voice (312) 996-1177  Fax: (312) 996-8776