From: hoover@sip-pmu.slavutich.kiev.ua
[mailto:hoover@sip-pmu.slavutich.kiev.ua]
Sent: mardi 4 avril 2000 09:40
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: ALARA

--=_alternative 00295C75C22568B7_=

Maybe it is just me, but I sure thought that ALARA is a lot more than just
dose minimization.  What happened to cost-benefit?

Jeffrey J Hoffman <hoffmanj@dteenergy.com>
Sent by: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
03-04-00 11:23 PM
Please respond to radsafe

        To:     Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
        cc:
        Subject:        ALARA

Can some of you actually be arguing against ALARA?  Don't you think it
good to minimize your dose?  If your natural yearly dose is 1R and you
save 25mr from a man made source, have you not saved the body from being
exposed to 25mr?  ALARA is good for all things that could potentially be
harmful.  If I shoot at you 5 times a year with a gun and miss, do you
care if I try 2 more times?  I think you would mind.  25mr may or may
not be harmful but why take the chance?  Why drive on the highway during
rush hour if you don't have too?

Thoughts are my own so flame away!

Jeff Hoffman
HoffmanJ@DTEEnergy.com

--=_alternative 00295C75C22568B7_=

that ALARA is a lot more than just dose minimization. &nbsp;What happened to
cost-benefit? &nbsp;</font>
&lt;hoffmanj@dteenergy.com&gt;</b></font>
radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu</font>
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Multiple recipients of list
&lt;radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu&gt;</font>
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;</font>
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;ALARA</font></table>
&nbsp;Don't you think it<br>
good to minimize your dose? &nbsp;If your natural yearly dose is 1R and
you<br>
save 25mr from a man made source, have you not saved the body from being<br>
exposed to 25mr? &nbsp;ALARA is good for all things that could potentially
be<br>
harmful. &nbsp;If I shoot at you 5 times a year with a gun and miss, do
you<br>
care if I try 2 more times? &nbsp;I think you would mind. &nbsp;25mr may or
may<br>
not be harmful but why take the chance? &nbsp;Why drive on the highway
during<br>
rush hour if you don't have too?<br>
</tt></font>
</tt></font>
HoffmanJ@DTEEnergy.com<br>
</tt></font>
The RADSAFE Frequently Asked Questions list, archives and subscription<br>
information can be accessed at
http://www.ehs.uiuc.edu/~rad/radsafe.html</tt></font>
--=_alternative 00295C75C22568B7_=--