RE: Transfer of Radioactive Material to another institution

Bob,
Whereas it is certainly more convenient for a researcher to transport his own hazardous materials (hazmat), and it happens all too often, there is a risk. Most insurance companies have restrictions on their policies that deny coverage for personally owned vehicles (POV) if hazmat is carried in the POV. In the event of any accident, the person doing so would become personally liable for any damages. More than likely, his employer would not accept the liability either, and may even terminate him if he is violating policy. Does the professor want to accept that liability for the sake of circumventing proper transportation protocols?

My company's policies and procedures just flat out prohibit the use of POVs to carry any hazmat. Employees can be, and have been, terminated for doing such.

Bruce Pickett
Health Physicist
Radiation Health Protection
The Boeing Company
PO Box 3707 M/S 6Y-38
Seattle, WA  98124
(425)393-3098, FAX (425)393-3060
bruce.d.pickett@boeing.com
    "We are all ignorant,
      Its just that each of us doesn't know different things"