Re: graduate research

Ashley,

I hope that this is your "A" trial of this survey form.  I find some of your items quite
ambiguous and a response difficult.

People are part of the "natural environment".  So, if there is a risk to people then it
follows that there is a risk to the natural environment.

I can't imagine how "organ transplantation" could present a risk to the "natural
environment" unless it was considered that the medical facilities and expertise utilized
for organ transplantation would reduce the availability of these things for the much
larger part of the population that is not part of the transplantations.

I am not familiar with the terms used in (4).  Therefore, I cannot respond to this item.

(5) is made difficult since the animals used for this purpose would certainly be part of
the "natural environment" would be severely affected.  Again, the facilities and
expertise used for this purpose would reduce their availability to the general
population.

In (6) I can not determine what is being "genetically engineered".  People?, plants?,
all plants, just plants that may be consumed by humans?

Again, in (7) I don't know what would be "cloned".  Cloning of humans would certainly be
very risky to both humans and the "natural environment" without strict control by some
non-involved party; at least until the process is well understood and the results could
be accomplished in a satisfactory and highly repeatably manner.

In (9) I am not at all sure to which "people" you refer.  In my opinion, the risk to
some workers (depending on type of work, chemicals handled, nature of the process) could
be very high whereas the risk to the general population would be quite low as would the
risk to the "natural environment" (depending on the proximity to the plant, nature of
the chemicals, etc.).

Uranium miners and processers are at at least moderate risk whereas the general
population is at very low risk.  The risk to the "natural environment" is obviously
quite high in close proximity to mining and processing (e.g. milling) of uranium ore,
but quite low to the vast majority of the environment.  So, I am in a quandry with
respect to responding to (11).

I hope that my comments are useful and do not come across as "nit-picking" or
purposefully designed to "rain on your parade".  "Keep 'em or toss 'em".

Jack Bell, bellstar@erols.com