Re: FACTS ABOUT TENNESSEE ILLNESSES

In a message dated 04/06/2000 10:48:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
PBPOLLAN@southernco.com writes:

<< Should enormous payouts be made, on the backs of taxpayers like
 you and me, on statistical probabilities? >>
Who proposed that?  Not me. First, most workers can never sue their employer
in tort because workers' compensation is their exclusive remedy.  Second, to
internalize the "external costs," I have proposed a system of nuclear
workers' compensation that taxes pollution by DOE contractors -- making the
polluters pay.  That is precisely what is done in Black Lung compensation,
where a per-ton tax on coal producers pays for Black Lung benefits for
disabled coal miners.  You are absolutely right.  It is not fair that average
taxpayers -- people working in McDonald's and coal mines and offices --
should dig deep to pay for compensation that should rightly be paid for by
the Union Carbides and Lockheed Martins of the world, who created the
problems in the first place.  Make the polluters pay.

My written testimony before Senator Fred Thompson last month proposes a
system of workers' compensation similar to the one that exists for Longshore
and Harbor Workers and for Black Lung (pneumoconiosis) victims.  DOE has
proposed buying off a few select workers at a few select sites for the
one-time sum of $100,000, with no lifetime medical care, no hearings, no
appeals, no Administrative Law Judges.  In contrast, a Black Lung recipient,
his widow and his orphans will typically collect some $500,000 in
compensation, health care costs and attorney fees.  This is not a windfall.
You would not want to have Black Lung disease, or the diseases that Oak Ridge
workers suffer.  This subject is covered in my testimony, the url to which I
will post as soon on this list as soon as I have it.

In a message dated 04/06/2000 10:48:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time,