Re: FACTS ABOUT TENNESSEE ILLNESSES

As a former employee of a DOE contractor, your remark that "...I did not want to
believe that these brilliant men with their good taste in opera, theatre and the
like could be capable of such actions as took place there. ..." strikes a
resonant chord.  I like to believe that education goes beyond learning a trade,
and makes you a better person.  My experience with DOE strongly challenged that
belief.  It's bad enough when bad things are done out of ignorance.  It bothered
me a lot more when they were done by people who considered themselves educated
and humane, and should have known better.  The best word for this is arrogance.
When my supervisor and I expressed concern about this, we were  told by
management that they encouraged arrogance, since such people did better work.  I
never accepted that.  I have known some truly brilliant and educated people,
including a Nobel laureate, and they were not arrogant.  It's the wannabees who
are arrogant.  Hence, I am not at all surprised by the recent revelations about
DOE sites.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com