Re: FACTS ABOUT TENNESSEE ILLNESSES

Dear Mr. Goldsmith:
Did your kids ever play in the creek?  Did your family ever obtain soil for
gardens that you later found to be contaminated?  Did your kids ever atttend
the junior high school where the ballfield was contaminated with mercury and
had to be dug up by DOE?  How do you really know they were safe?  For most
Oak Ridgers, such beliefs are a suspension of disbelief.  I appreciate your
cognitive dissonance.  I had it too when I lived in Clinton and edited the
Appalachian Observer.  I did not want to believe that these brilliant men
with their good taste in opera, theatre and the like could be capable of such
actions as took place there.  Yet there is too much evidence of too much
contamination.  Fences, blue lines and yellow ropes do not keep it on the
"Reservation."  Toxic chemicals are equal opportunity killers.
With kindest regards,
Ed Slavin

In a message dated 04/06/2000 2:12:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,