Why Didn't They Speak Out Earlier?

Dear Bill:

Do you know a good labor economist in your area?  You might want to compare
and contrast basic economic indicators. There are few goodpaying jobs in East
Tennessee for people without advanced degrees, except in the nuclear weapons
plants.  It is a fact of life of DOE labor economics that every single one of
these plants was built outside a major metroplitan area, without strong
unions, without alternative highpaying jobs.  Eastern Washington, Eastern
Tennessee, New Mexico, West Kentucky, etc. are low wage areas where people
are tied to their families and cultural heritage, and where people were
immobile, fatalistic and grateful to get high paying jobs, and to do it for
their country's national security.  DOE profited from the location of its
plants in areas with docile workforces --- workers did not complain, they did
not ask questions, and they did not go on strike.  People were grateful to
have a job "at the plants."

DOE/AEC/ERDA knew this.  Like clockwork, four times a year, press releases
have gone out from Oak Ridge for half a century, announging the amount of the
payroll, county by county, and the number of jobs, as if to say, keep your
mouths shut, we're all in this together.  In addition, no nepotism rules
exist, as in normal industry. A worker in an Oak Ridge plant knows if they
blow the whistle on environmental, health and safety issues, they, their
spouse and their entire family -- to include brothers, sisters, mothers,
fathers, cousins, uncles, aunts, in laws -- working at the plants could be
harassed, intimidated, fired, laid off, sent to psychiatrists for fitness for
duty examinations, and the whole range of control in Oak Ridge.  People in
Appalachia are described by socioligists as very loyal to their families, a
feature of the Scotch-Irish heritage.  See, e.g., Harry Caudill, My Land is
Dying, etc.

I tried and settled cases in California in the 1990s, and dearly loved all my
time there.  Your State would be one of the largest economies in the world if
it were a separate country.  It is often called the land of milk and honey.

 If you have lived in California any length of time and did not grow up in a
less fortunate area of the country, you may not fully appreciate the extent
to which this country still has areas that function as less developed
countries, with low wages, Taft Hartley Section 14(b) (right to work laws),
outside exploitation of mineral resources and undertaxation, immobile work
force, underfunded schools, little or no history of worker and environmental
activism, no unions, and no progressive newspapers. Why, the people of Oak
Ridge had to go clear plumb to Nashville to find someone who would print the
news.  Would that were alternatives!   If Ms. Dyer ahd quit her HP job, where
else could she go? What would happen to her family?  People like Ms. Dyer and
her colleagues are heroes, whom too few outsiders appreciate.

When husband and wife Delbert Lynn and Linda Jayne Cox co-chaired the first
public environmental meeting in Oak Ridge in 1996, they were laid off shortly
thereafter, as were a number of other K-25 workers, in a layoff that affected
only 300 workers.  Workers have always feared to blow the whistle in Oak
Ridge, a fact that DOE and its contractors are responsible for by their
actions and inactions.  Workers in Oak Ridge were never told of their
whistleblower rights by DOE and their contractors.  It was not until 1991
that a worker exercised his whistleblower rights, and newspaper articles
informed local workers that they had them.  Thus, the accomplishments of the
workers in Oak Ridge are a collective act of heroism that the radiation
protection community should applaud and support in every way possible.  We
appreciate your interest and concern.  Please let us know if you have any
other questions.

With kindest regards,

Ed Slavin

In a message dated 04/06/2000 9:55:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,