In The Mind of A Few Angry Genies: the Vision Lives On

Howdy:

Most of you in the radiation protection community worldwide who've spoken up
recently have expressed overwhelming compassion, understanding and support,
publicly and privately for sick Oak Ridge workers and residents and how DOE
has behaved toward them.  It was so good to hear from you after sick Oak
Ridge workers and residents were mocked and trivialized by RADSAFE posts for
three years.  Of course, I knew before I spoke out against that mockery of
sick workers that the late Dr. Karl Z. Morgan wrote last year that anyone who
challenges the nuclear industry: "must be prepared to withstand political,
economic and professional
attacks.  For example, when I publicly criticized the majority of health
physicists (for not stepping forward to assist injured workers in cases
during a keynote speech in 1985 before union workers, Dr. Clarence Lushbaugh
promptly responded in the Oak Ridger by equating that with the lowest species
of ''animals that befoul their own nest."

President Franklin Delano Roosevelt promised "freedom from fear."  Fear is a
fact of life in Oak Ridge.  Lack of "academic freedom" in Oak Ridge was noted
by the New York Times in 1983, when Dr. Stephen Gough compared Oak Ridge to
an "intellectual ghetto" where one could not criticize management.   Even
Ph.D.s fear to criticize the DOE/contractor "party line."  Whistleblower
retaliation is rampant in Oak Ridge.  Dr. Karl Z. Morgan wrote before his
death, "No society that severely restricts freedom of speech will ultimately
survive."

I fully appreciate now that it was just a tiny, pathetic, vocal minority who
trashed sick Oak Ridge workers when they're supposed to be working -- and
didn't apologize for it.  The mechanisms of such retaliatory mindsets are
discussed  by Dr. Karl Z. Morgan,  "The Angry Genie: One Man's Walk Through
the Nuclear Age" (Oklahoma University Press 1999).  For inclusion in a future
exhibit in the Oak Ridge Museum of Atomic Energy, here's a screed from
someone with a derisive, ad hominem response to truthful testimony before the
United States Senate about matters of human misery wrougt by DOE -- the
sequelae perhaps of cognitive dissonance and a massive chip on his shoulder:

In a message dated 04/07/2000 6:00:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,