RE: K-40 Thread

> It's been a while since my days as a Medical Lab Tech, but I seem to
> recall
> the 'normal' range for potassium being 4.5 - 5.4 milliequivalents/litre in
> plasma or serum.  Since one equivalent is the concentration of a an ionic
> species needed to give one 'mole' of charge, this is essentially
> millimolar.  I'm pretty sure that K+ concentration varies among tissues,
> so
> you can't use this to calculate total body potassium.

	One thing I do remember is K is low in extracellular fluid
(including blood plasma) and high in intracellular fluid.  This is the
reverse of the situation with sodium.  If I remember correctly, most K in
the body is in muscle tissue.  Also, much of the basal metabolic rate is due
to the energy requirement of maintaining the K/Na levels in intra and
extracellular fluids against  their concentration gradients.  I also seem to
remember that a relatively small change in plasma K results in instant
death, so I'd suppose this is under tight control, through controlled gut
sorption and excretion through the kidneys.

	Personal thoughts only

	Regards

	keith.bradshaw@nnc.co.uk

	END