Picture this ...

A group of 6 prominent health physicists sitting at a table in front
of a Congressional hearing, and one by one they state their name, and
state categorically "I do not believe that radiation causes any
negative consequences, whatsoever." Sound familiar? Simply change the
word radiation for tobacco, and that's what the scene would look
like. Far fetched? All one need do is subscribe to Radsafe and look
at the outrage and vehement at any mention that radiation might
actually cause illness, death or other psychological ailments.

To those of us who are members of the Heath Physics Society, have you
read the Prospectus in the current directory, page 271? It starts out
with "The Society is a professional organization whose mission is to
promote the practice of radiation safety." It goes on to state
"Society members are involved in understanding, evaluating, and
controlling the potential risks from radiation relative to the
benefits." So I ask, what safety are we promoting from radiation,
and, what are those potential risks that we are to control? If you
read Radsafe regularly, there obviously aren't any risks to be
worried about. If that's the case, we don't need the Society, we
don't need Radsafe, AAPM, NRRPT, CHP or health physicists.

Are there risks? Of course. Are members of the public, military and
work places exposed to radiation that "may" have caused problems? Of
course. Are all accusations valid. Of course not. What I don't see is
any attempt to "evaluate" the issues, determine if there is causation
for an individual's suffering, and a simple dismissal of any negative
statements, as being unfounded. Where are the scientists in us? Do
any of you recall hypothesis testing? Prove the null hypothesis as
false, before rejecting it. I see a lot of rejecting facts here on
Radsafe all the time.

Am I an anti-nuclear individuals? I dare say not! I am very pro-
nuclear, but I also have an open mind. I've been in this profession
for 30 years now. Four years with state government, 22 years in
nuclear power and 4 years in commercial health physics. I am as pro-
nuclear as anyone. But I also can think for myself, and not rush to
judgment. I hope others can do the same.

Is Radsafe going to continue as a forum for learning, discussion
issues and development of mitigating factors, or, are we going to
become the "good old boy's" club, where there is no wrong, there is
no harm, and in conclusion, no reason to be.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205