RE: High School Career Day

Since I skipped my Career Day and went camping (I thought I knew what I wanted to do with my life...I didn't), I don't have any experience with what is "traditional". I know what I and, I assume, others would want from such a presentation:

1)  What is the work is like? What kinds of jobs do people in this field do and why? What is the working environment? If there is a variety of types of work, what are some of the different types that define the range of experiences and how much motility is there between the job types?

2)  What skills, abilities and education are needed? Where can those be learned?

3)  What is the employment situation like now and in the future? Who hires people working in this field? Are there some segments that are likely to be available in the future that aren't available now?

4)  How much might I get paid?

5)  Is there a down side to working in this field and, if so, what? (I rarely expect to hear anything about this in any kind of presentation. When I do, I always make a point of congratulating the presenter. It's very hard to give a balanced viewpoint about a topic toward which we are polarized.)

Hope this helps. If you would like my input in answering any of these, please let me know.

Rick Edwards, Analyst
The Boeing Company
richard.w.edwards@boeing.com