RE: Alpha shielding in "Masslin"

Mike,

I believe there may be some self absorption if some of the alpha gets worked
into the fabric of the masslin; however, the masslin permits you to assess
much larger surface areas than you could with a traditional 15.5 cm^2 size
smear.  For shipping purposes we use traditional smears for reporting
dpm/100 cm^2, but we still conservatively do large area masslins to ensure
we're not missing anything.

We report no activity found on a large area masslin as "NCF"(No Contam
Found), we do not attempt to take credit for an efficiency or area size.  If
activity was found, we would attempt to document with a 100 cm^2 smear, but
realistically the low level contaminant was just deconned with the large
area masslin.

Regardless of the technical hurdles, the large-area masslin survey is the
best way of detecting low-level contaminants before they become visible with
a smear.  If you wait until your problem is identifiable with a traditional
100 cm^2 smear area, then things have been out of line for a little too
long.

I would be interested to know if anyone has any smear efficiency data in
addition to the self-absorption question.

Sincerely,
Glen Vickers
Braidwood Nuclear Station

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Unicom proprietary
information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright
belonging to the Unicom family of Companies.  This E-mail is intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed.  If
you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation
to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited
and may be unlawful.  If you have received this E-mail in error, please
notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and
any copy of this E-mail and any printout.  Thank You.