Re: Picture this...

Mike Stabin stated the following:

> Dan, I appreciate your point, but I don't see so much paranoia and being
> "anti the anti's" as I see reactions to simply outrageous statements.

Mike,

My post wasn't aimed at the argument against outrageous statements.
Outrageous statements should be dealt with, but with facts, not
emotional outbursts. Even though the facts will be rejected outright,
the emotional attacks only foster further support for the outrageous
statement. The attacker becomes the target, and not the ridiculous
statement.

The question now becomes, how do you define outrageous? Some of your
examples do that, such as food irradiation.

What do you consider the the issue of ORNL, Paducah, etc.? I don't
know whether or not the claimants have been injured. I have an
opinion, but I don't have the data and know all of the facts. Do you?
Some Radsafers believe that they know that no individual was injured.
They've so stated that, and, attacked the claimants. Granted, the
rhetoric was a bit extreme last week, and there were a lot of
statements aimed at the emotional side of the issue. However, the
issue isn't how one presents their case, but whether or not someone
was truly injured. If they were, and, can logically demonstrate that
they were in fact injured, they should be compensated. My argument is
with the current proposal to simply show that you worked at the
facility, you now have an ailment, and all you need to do is cash the
check. This is not scientific, nor is it fair. But there have been
those on Radsafe who have continually attacked these claimants,
simply because they state they know the causal relationship. Again,
unless these individuals have all the facts, and supporting
documentation, their attacks must be considered baseless.

In conclusion, I was seeking for a more logical process to address
issues, without the rhetoric and emotionalism. If an idea is to be
attacked, attack the idea, but do it was some basis, and so state it.
Attacking an idea simply because it appears to be "anti-nuclear" is
not an acceptable basis. Attacking without basis is just as much an
outrageous statement as the original statement being attacked.

Regards,

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205