Critics Allege Infant Mortality Rate

I am forwarding this on from a colleague. Please note the absurd
allegations and information being spwewed by Ms. Brinkley on National
TV talkshows (where most of middle America obtains their scientific
information):

>    April 24, 2000
>
> Critics Allege Infant Mortality Rates
> Decline When Nuclear Plants Close
>
> Allegations that infant mortality rates around five nuclear power plants
> dropped after the reactors closed will be made April 26  at a press
> conference at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C.  That day also
> is the 14th anniversary of the Chernobyl accident.
>
> The press conference will feature: model Christie Brinkley; Rep. Michael
> Forbes
> (D-NY); Joan Claybrook of Ralph Nader's Public Citizen; Joseph Mangano,
> who has authored several papers alleging health effects from nuclear
> facilities; Janette Sherman, M.D.; and Randy Snell, the father of a child
> with cancer.  The event will be sponsored by Standing for Truth About
> Radiation (STAR), Public Citizen, and the Radiation and Public Health
> Project (RPHP), which is supported by actor Alec Baldwin.
>
> In an appearance on the Rosie O'Donnell television talk show April 17,
> Brinkley told viewers that a report would be released that "indicates
> very, very heavily that the second you close a nuclear reactor, I mean,
> immediately, infant mortality rates go down."
>
> In a media advisory on the April 26 briefing, the organizers added a new
> element to the allegations - "the federal government does not consider
> potential health effects when renewing (nuclear plant) licenses."
>
> Background:
>
> For more than 30 years, claims have been made that there is a link between
> low-level radiation and/or radiation from nuclear facilities and various
> forms of cancer, low Scholastic Aptitude Test scores, babies with low
> birth weights, and breast cancer among women living near nuclear plants.
> Mainstream scientists, state health departments, and investigations by
> various news media do not support these allegations.
>
> This new allegation was raised by Joseph Mangano in October 1998 and again
> earlier this year in an article - "Improvements in local infant health
> after nuclear power reactor closing"- in Environmental Epidemiology and
> Toxicology.  In the article, Mangano said:  "Immediately after the (Rancho
> Seco) reactor closed, local rates of deaths from all causes, deaths from
> congenital anomalies, and cancer cases declined faster than the U.S.
> average.
> The fall in mortality was especially sharp for congenital anomaly deaths
> ages 0-1 and 1-4."  It is important to note that in conclusion, he said:
> "Finally, radiation exposure is just one of many potential factors
> affecting infant health, and it is very difficult exactly to determine
> what proportion of disease rate decline is due to Rancho Seco's closure."
> The article focuses on Rancho Seco, with references to four other plants -
> LaCrosse, Fort St. Vrain, Trojan and Millstone/Haddam Neck - in an
> appendix.
>
> Talking Points:

> [...]

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205