Re[2]: Christie Brinkley on Fox News Network tonight

     Radsafers,

     I'm afraid that 'concentrating on excellence and avoiding screwups'
     pretty much summarizes what we have done historically, with little
     effect on improving our image.

     I don't advocate playing dirty, attacking the messenger rather than
     the message, or deliberate misrepresentations (even though we are
     regularly on the 'receiving' end of those approaches).  But it is
     NOT wrong on our part to point out baloney when we see it.

     By the way, after the recent postings discussing the origin of the
     'too cheap to meter' line, I think the more important point that
     Mike Stabin made was lost.  Look at the quote again:

     ``This industry promised us energy that was too cheap to meter,
     but instead it has produced a mountain of waste that is too
     expensive to clean up. ... We must insist that the nuclear industry
     take responsibility for the legacy of toxic garbage that it has
     produced,''

     Mike pointed out how the criticism of nuclear power being too
     costly comes from those whose stated intent is to throw every
     cost-creating delay and roadblock into its path. Along those lines,
     how honest is it to 'insist that the nuclear industry take
     responsiblity for the legacy of toxic garbage that it has produced'
     while applauding the veto that blocks such an effort?

     And what about opposing the bill because it would launch launching
     "the largest nuclear waste shipping campaign in the history of the
     world"? So what?  Are they proposing a waste disposal method that
     will NOT involve transportation?  (Or maybe they're suggesting
     storing everything in place?  Hey, guess what? That can be
     technologically feasible, too.)

     In short, I see nothing immoral about our pointing out how nuclear
     critics play both sides of these issues or in calling their
     objections nonsense when they are nonsense.  No need to get nasty
     or personal, just insist on real-world facts.

     Vincent King
     vincent.king@doegjpo.com