DOE Recordkeeping

Liz Brackett said: "Recordkeeping (of doses) at DOE facilities, at least the
ones I have experience with, is a nightmare.  I agree that changes need to be
made but it is not a simple problem. It's easy for outsiders to make sweeping
statements as to how things "should be;" it's quite another thing to face the
actual reality of being on the inside trying to implement the changes."

Thanks Liz, that is the best recommendation for a centralized record system,
like we have at Hanford, I have seen.  I'm not sure how the other sites work,
but at Hanford all dosimetry records are held by our group.  We also submit a
report to DOE every year for inclusion in the DOE Radiation Exposure Management
System (REMS).  That is a centralized database for all DOE dose, so at least for
past years there is a central repository.

Jay A. MacLellan, CHP
Manager, Radiation Records
Radiation and Health Technology
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory