Re: RADSAFE digest 3135

If no link can be established in this study where do you get your
information?  Please provide a reference.  The following paragraphs
were copied from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette article that I
referenced earlier and which can be found at:
http://www.post-gazette.com/healthscience/20000428threemile2.asp

			Mortality indicators examined in the Pitt
			 study included all heart disease, all
                           malignancies, as well as specific cancers
                           that are known to be sensitive to
                           radioactivity: bronchus, trachea and lung;
                           breast (women only); lymphatic and
                           hematopoietic tissue (blood-forming
                           organs), excluding chronic lymphocytic
                           leukemia and Hodgkin's disease; and the
                           central nervous system. Thyroid cancer was
                           considered, but no deaths were reported
                           during the study period.

                           Initial results indicated a significantly
                           higher mortality from all causes among the
                           TMI population compared with residents of
                           the surrounding three-county area, with the
                           largest number of deaths from heart
                           disease. However, after adjustment for
                           smoking and education, which has a direct
                           bearing on lifestyle, the increases were no
                           longer apparent.

> Date:          Fri, 28 Apr 2000 11:40:59 -0500 (CDT)
> From:          Norman & Karen Cohen <norco@bellatlantic.net>
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:       Re: RADSAFE digest 3135

> Sandy,
>
> And I wish a Tooth Fairy person would be on this list to give answers, cause mine
> are second-hand, but baby teeth were pciked because they give us a 'snapshot' of
> sr-90 emissions since most of the sr-90 would enter the child's teeth in utero.
> And as far as samples, they are collecting teeth from everywhere. What happens as
> a practical reality is that activists and concerned people living near the nuke
> plants are more likely to send teeth in due to their concerns about nuke power.
>
>     To say that there are no health problems associated with nuke plants is not
> accurate. There are higher levels of breast cancer nearer a plant than farther
> away. There are indications of higher infant mortality,e tc near nuke plants.
> There are cancer clusters.  I think the idea that there is a synergistic effect
> between continually doses of low lowel radiation and the rise of soft tissue
> cancers is an idea that needs to be considered.
>
>      norm
>
> Sandy Perle wrote:
>
> > > The choice of  teeth
> > > to the exclusion of other samples is an odd one.  One would think that if
> > > they suspect emissions from nuclear power plants, that they should take
> > > environmental samples such as water and air, in the vicinity of the alleged
> > > offending plant.
> >
> > Very good statement. The fact is that sampling is done within and
> > more importantly, around every nuclear plant in this country, as
> > well as by NRC. The data is published, and is readily available. The
> > sampling for the most part is conducted by the various states. If
> > the data isn't acceptable, because it doesn't point to any problems,
> > are we now going to see comments that the states are biased too,
> > as well as those bad people working for the nuclear utilities?
> >
> > The data is there .. the facts speak for themselves. There are no
> > problems or health consequences because of proximity to nuclear
> > plants. Reminds me about the RF issues proposed by those living
> > near power lines. The data pointed elsewhere, and finally, you don't
> > hear much about that. It appears the real issue there were all of
> > those living near the "unsightly" wires .. and they wanted an
> > economic boon.
>
> --
> Coalition for Peace and Justice and the UNPLUG Salem Campaign; 321 Barr Ave.,
> Linwood, NJ 08221; 609-601-8537 or 609-601-8583 (8583: fax, answer machine);
> norco@bellatlantic.net;  UNPLUG SALEM WEBSITE:  http://www.unplugsalem.org/
> COALITION FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE WEBSITE:
> http://members.bellatlantic.net/~norco/  ICQ# 54268619; The Coalition for Peace
> and Justice is a chapter of Peace Action.
> [...]
Scott D. Flowerday
Emergency Response and Investigation Branch
Bureau of Radiation Control
(512) 834-6688