Re: RADSAFE digest 3135

While Yucca Mountain, if accepted, may eventually be closed permanently with all
of its "spent fuel" in place, current plans are not to "seal" it for several
decades after the last container is emplaced.  The "waste" packages are designed
to be retrieved during this post-emplacement, pre-closure period.  While the
explicit reason is to recover any leaking packages before permanent closure
makes this impossible (or very difficult/expensive to say the least), an
unspoken reason is that the packages cotaining spent fuel (NOT those containing
vitrified high level waste) would be retrievable if the US realizes the energy
value of this "waste" (as most other countries such as Japan, France and
Britain, who reprocess).  In any case, perhaps in a couple of centuries, Yucca
Mountain will become the world's largest high grade Uranium/Plutonium/Steel
mine....  After all, mining is probably still a big industry in Nevada.

My opions only and not those of my employer.

Ernesto Faillace
efaillace@earthlink.net

ruth_weiner <ruth_weiner@email.msn.com> on 05/01/2000 10:16:28 AM

Please respond to radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu