Re: Article in Toledo Blade: Michael Woods: Cigarette will delive

Slightly off-topic, but it's hard to believe that "that the second-hand
>smoker actually inhales more smoke than the smokers themselves that  the
second-hand
>smoker actually inhales more smoke than the smokers themselves."  A smoker
draws as much of the smoke as possible directly into the bronchi and the
lung, while what the second-hand smoker inhales is diluted at least, it
seems to me, 10/1 (unless something really intimate is going on).  The
exception to this might be a one or two -cigarette-per-day smoker v. a
non-smoker who spends several hours a day in a smoke-filled room (e.g., a
bar) or the airline flight attendants who spent 1000 hours  year in a poorly
ventilated enclosure with second hand smoke.  Habitual smokers develop
chronic coughs, especially in the morning.  I myself have never smoked but
used to spend a lot of time with smokers because most people I knew did
smoke, and I never had that kind of chronic cough.  The worst I ever
experienced as a second-hand smoker was that my eyes would get irritated.
Now, this is NOT an argument that second-hand smoke is good for you (it
isn't) or won't hurt you (it very well may), but an argument refuting a
particular assertion.

Ruth Weiner
ruth_weinr@msn.com