Re: background vs man-made emmissions

On Mon, 1 May 2000, Norman & Karen Cohen wrote:

> Short term - a phase out of nuclear and coal, replaced by natural gas. Long term - real investments in all of the alternatives out there, from wind to solar to hydro to wave to fuel cells. As well as a real commitment to efficiency. This is really more of a national policy question - whether we as a country have or can get the necessary will to make these changes.

	--How can anyone who worries about the future of man on Earth
justify using natural gas to produce electricity in bulk amounts? Gas is
invaluable and very difficult to replace for home heating. It can also be
easily used for transportation. On the longer time perspective, gas and
oil are almost irreplaceable as feed stocks for producing organic
chemicals, plastics, many medicines, etc. Supplies of natural gas are
clearly limited, and will probably be nearly exhausted by the end of this
century.  On the other hand, uranium has no other important uses, and can
provide all the electricity mankind will ever need, forever.
	From the short term view, natural gas is killing thousands of
Americans every year with asphyxiations, explosions, and some air
pollution. Estimates of the number killed by nuclear power, even if we
assume the validity of the linear-no thrshold theory, is less than 10, and
this includes accidents treated on a probabilistic basiseven though they
have never killed anyone yet.
	With regard to the so-called hazards from waste disposal, I have
papers on different levels that should convince any reasonable person that
they are not a problem. If Norm Cohen wants copies of these, I would be
glad to send them if he promises to read them.

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260