EPA on Electricity and Climate Change

Posted for a non-Radsafe member.
==================================
Subject: US EPA on Electricity and Climate Change

Radsafe'rs,

The US EPA has the following on their Web site at:

   http://www.epa.gov/epahome/educ_0413.htm

that shows an opinion on energy conservation and
alternative energy sources (very slim on nuclear as
an option, of course):

	*****

	Education Matters

	Electricity and Climate Change

	While you are reading this, your computer is
	contributing to global warming. So are the
	lights in your room. And the energy that
	heated the water for your last shower did
	too.

	In fact, everything that runs on fossil fuels -- coal, natural
	gas and oil -- will eventually influence our climate. Turning
	off lights, the television and the computer when you are
	through with them, can help. Using electricity is not
	wrong. We just have to be smart about not wasting it.

	Most electricity is generated by burning fossil fuels. Fossil
	fuels produce greenhouse gas pollutants as they burn and
	are non-renewable -- meaning they are in limited supply
	and can be used up. Greenhouse gas pollutants are what
	cause global warming.

	There are now ways to generate electricity that do not
	produce greenhouse gas pollutants. Utility companies can
	use sunlight, wind power, hydro(water)power, biomass
	and even the heat within the earth (geothermal energy) to
	make the electricity we need every day.

	Because these resources are either continuously available
	(such as sunlight and wind), or are capable of restoring
	their supply (such as biomass, like wood), they are called
	"renewable energy sources." Generating electricity from
	renewable energy sources can reap major reductions in
	greenhouse gas pollutants and reduce the risks of global
	warming.

	To learn more about Global Warming and what you can do
	about it, go to:

		http://www.epa.gov/globalwarming/

	*****

Refer to my earlier posting "Re: tmi and Solar Panels" if you got
it (those of us receiving the radsafe digest are 'disenfranchised'
every now and then and can't post--considering radsafe is already
over 83 postings per day for May, maybe that is just as well).

S.,

MikeG.