Re[2]: Radioactive baby teeth flag cancer rate

     Radsafers,

     Notice the fallacy here (and yes, as much as we respect your right
     to disagree with us Norm, this is a question you have to deal with
     if you are honestly trying to get to the 'truth').

     If Sr-90 in teeth are truly rising to the same levels as during the
     above ground testing years, then why isn't Sr-90 in air, water,
     milk etc. DOING THE SAME?  Sr-90 was easily detectable in the
     environment at the height of above-ground testing...consequently, a
     few environmental samples around the current-day culprits (if you
     accept that there really is an increase in Sr-90 in teeth) would
     HAVE TO show the same, unless human physiology has dramatically
     changed in 30 years.

     The conclusion below that 'it must be the nukes' completely falls
     apart if this simple demonstration isn't performed.  (But of
     course, comprehensive monitoring demonstrates otherwise every day.)

     By the way, I have to take exception to a recent reference implying
     that nuclear power plants without cooling towers are somehow more
     'dangerous' than those with.  I worked at a NPP where the
     associated cooling lake is full of healthy aquatic life and
     attracts waterfowl and bald eagles, all providing a huge net
     increase in both quantity and diversity of wildlife in the area
     compared to what existed before the NPP was built (which was a
     mostly-dry creek bed running through a wheat field).

     Finally, to change the subject yet again (I'm consolidating
     unrelated responses into one posting; just doing my part to reduce
     the traffic on RADSAFE)-

     Norm, many, if not most, of us started out with ideas similar to
     yours.  The sun and air are 'free' (too cheap to meter?), so we
     should just use them and not destroy mother earth, let's all dance
     in fields of daisies and teach the world to sing in perfect
     harmony, tra-la-la....(Sorry, got carried away there.)

     When we started looking at these issues factually, not
     romantically, we found that there are other energy sources
     necessary for continued survival. Solar and wind have been
     discussed for decades; if they were really the answer, I think we'd
     be using them today.  No one I know, including us pro-nukes, would
     be opposed to them if they worked without too many drawbacks.

     And with the current world population, if everyone goes 'back to
     nature' and relies on what they grow themselves for energy, you
     would see man-made pollution and environmental destruction on an
     unprecedented scale (again, most 'environmentalists' know very
     little about true environmental science, and have never 'run the
     numbers' for this scenario).

     People who favor nuclear power do not do so because of a
     mad-scientist desire to destroy the world (if that were truly the
     end-result of the technology, wouldn't nuclear supporters be
     thinking suicidally and dooming their own children as well?). We
     support it because we understand - factually and from experience,
     not romantically or hypothetically - that the world would be much
     safer and cleaner with increased development and use of nuclear
     power.

     Vincent King
     vincent.king@doegjpo.com