Re: Gamma Dose to cell sterilization

 Just curious, but why give the extracts a dose of radiation? This will potentially mess up the components in the extract (via X-linking etc.)to the point they are useless for experimentation. A simple 20 ml syringe and a cheap (a couple of bucks)0.2 micron filter, attached to the syringe, will sterilize your 20 ml of extract.

                         Hope this helps,

                              Tom
--

On Fri, 5 May 2000 10:52:48    Mr Jo wrote:
>--------------CFBE536C94041347701B1CC7
>
>Our researcher has chicken embryo cell extracts (dead cells). He wants to sterilize them using gamma (Cs-137) irradiator.  The sample has about 20 ml volume in liquid medium and it is in a plastic vial. I looked at doses required in food irradiation for meat, poultry, and fish and it was 0.1-10 kGy (wide range).
>
>What dose shall I recommend? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
>
>Thank you and have a good weekend. M. Jo
>
>--------------CFBE536C94041347701B1CC7
>
>begin:vcard
>n:Jo;M.
>tel;fax:775-784-4553
>tel;work:775-784-4540
>x-mozilla-html:FALSE
>org:University of Nevada Reno;EH&S, MS 328
>adr:;;N. Virginia St;Reno;NV;89557;
>version:2.1
>email;internet:mjo@scs.unr.edu
>title:Myung Chul Jo, M.S., CHP