lochbaum on radiation

Dave's two cents. Now is radiation all the same, or are there "differences"? Or our
we looking
at the same thing in two different ways?

norm

DaveL wrote:

> Hello Norm:
>
> Regarding your question about radiation, there are differences in the biological
> effects from different kinds of background radiation, differences in the
> biological effects from different kinds of man-made radiation, and therefore
> differences between biological effects of background and man-made radiation. The
> differences are due to the energy levels involved and to the pathways for
> damage. For example, Iodine-131 is primarily a man-made radiation source. It is
> a gas that can be inhaled. Inside the body, it tends to be absorbed by the
> thyroid gland where is can cause thyroid cancer. Radon is also a radioactive
> gas, but it is primarily a background or natural radiation source. When inhaled,
> it tends to cause damage to the lungs. I realize that this response is not a
> simple, clean answer to your question, but it's my best effort to do so.
>
> Here's information on radiation effects from the NRC (I don't know if the
> RadSafe folks have given this material their endorsement or not):
>
> =====
>
>     TIP:36 - Biological Effect of Radiation
>
> Background
>
> Radiation is all around us, occurring naturally in the environment. We are
> exposed all the time to radiation from radon in the air; uranium, radium and
> thorium in the earth; cosmic rays from outer space and the sun; radioactive
> potassium in our food and water; and radioactive material within our own bodies.
> This is commonly called naturally-occurring background radiation.
>
> The average radiation exposure to an individual in the United States is about
> 360 millirem (mrem) or 3.6 millisievert (mSv) per year. About 300mrem (3 mSv) of
> this is from natural sources, including radon [200 mrem(2mSv)] that emanates
> from the ground, as well as cosmic, terrestrial and internal radiation [100 mrem
> (1mSv)]. The largest man-made source is medical diagnosis, accounting for about
> 50 mrem (0.5 mSv) per year. Consumer products such as smoke detectors, exit
> signs and luminous watch dials contribute about 10 mrem (0.1 mSv) per year.
>
> Background radiation varies depending on the area where you live, the type of
> housing construction you live in, and what you eat. For instance, Colorado has
> higher radiation levels because, at its high altitude, there is more exposure to
> cosmic rays and with its naturally-occurring uranium enriched soil, there is
> more terrestrial radiation. Brick homes have higher natural radiation levels
> than homes made of other materials such as wood; domestic water supplies
> naturally contain radon; and certain foods such as bananas and Brazil nuts
> naturally contain higher levels of radiation than other foods.
>
> In addition, consumer products such as tobacco, fertilizer product and coal have
> noticeable concentrations of naturally-occurring radionuclides including
> potassium-40. Above this background level, the NRC limits maximum radiation dose
> [...]

Coalition for Peace and Justice and the UNPLUG Salem Campaign; 321 Barr Ave.,
Linwood, NJ 08221; 609-601-8537 or 609-601-8583 (8583: fax, answer machine);
norco@bellatlantic.net;  UNPLUG SALEM WEBSITE:  http://www.unplugsalem.org/
COALITION FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE WEBSITE:  http://members.bellatlantic.net/~norco/
ICQ# 54268619; The Coalition for Peace and Justice is a chapter of Peace Action.
“We have two lives, the one we’re given, and the other one we make” (Mary Chapin
Carpenter)
“Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights...Get up, stand up, don’t give up the
fight!” (Bob Marley)