Re: solar power - "to phase-out fossil fuels and nuclear power"

> William Prestwich[SMTP:prestwic@mcmail.cis.McMaster.CA] wrote on Wednesday
> May 03, 2000 9:16 AM
>
> My two bits. Imagine the law suits when a neighbour plants a nice big
> shade tree. Of course trees could be banned from cities. What price
> insanity?
<><><><><><><><><><><><>

You may be interested to know that with "funding... provided by the Toronto
Atmospheric Fund," Greenpeace is now engaged in a door-to-door publicity
blitz on the "Solar Revolution."

> My dad had a visit from two Greenpeace representatives at my parents' home
> in Montreal last week. They left behind a four-page 8½ x 11 color
> pamphlet, with headings like "GO SOLAR," "SOLAR CITY," "SOLAR PIONEER" and
> "Join the Solar Revolution."
>
> It also says that,
>
> *	"Solar energy is available now to phase-out fossil fuels and nuclear
> power."
> *	"Solar power is the cleanest energy source available." [[ even
> though it admits that "photovoltaic panels... (are) made from silicon, the
> same substance used to manufacture computer chips" - they don't mention
> the arsenic & cadmium additives.. or the toxic mess that the industry has
> spawned in California's Silicon Valley ]]
> *	"A typical small solar rooftop system would prevent.. the creation
> of almost 100 kilograms of radioactive waste"
> *	".....photovoltaic panels.... last many decades" [[if you leave your
> bicycle or car outdoors, in Canada, will it "last for many decades" ???
> ...the ones I've seen were totally rusted after just a couple of winters
> out on a balcony of an apartment building ]]
> *	"Nuclear power generates deadly radioactive waste and the risk of
> catastrophic accidents."
> *	"Hydroelectric megaprojects destroy vast areas of wilderness." [[
> debatable -- in many cases there is little difference between a hydro
> reservoir and a natural lake or land-slide impoundment....]]
> *	"New buildings can be constructed with solar roof tiles and solar
> electric windows so that they can generate all the energy they need
> directly from the sun." [[ I get it -- block off your windows with tiles,
> just so you can light your room with a solar-powered light bulb -
> brilliant !   ....the pamphlet has an illustration showing downtown
> highrises with little PV panels on top -- supposedly providing "all the
> energy they need directly from the sun." - yeah, right - wonder when the
> public will get fed up with being taken for a bunch of idiots..]]
>
> They were however, clever enough NOT to have done this campaign in January
> or February.
> One of the photos shows a guy on a roof pulling up a PV solar collector.
> Greenpeace doesn't provide injury/death statistics for roofers, nor do
> they mention the impact on the cost of repairing leaky roofs covered with
> collectors (and their re-installation afterwards), or corrosion effects of
> winter road salt lofted into the air by automobile traffic ( PV panels
> have very short lives in coastal areas due to salty air ). There was
> certainly no mention of possible health risk due to arsenic releales from
> lighning strikes on PV panels, nor about HAZMAT disposal following
> decommissioning (I suspect they would propose recycling -- only because
> its not used nuclear fuel...).

The Greenpeace scenario of everyone installing rooftop PV solar panels on
their houses made me think of that classic Chevy Chase comedy skit about the
Griswalds' Christmas light installation -- maybe the next movie in the
series could have them do the solar panel installation version of it.

Jaro
frantaj@aecl.ca