radon in limestone -Reply

Tom,

In Clinton, NJ a small development of about 120 homes sits on a large
block of limestone.  High indoor radon levels were reported to New
Jersey DEP  in two homes near each other in the development by Dr.
Bernard Cohen.  Subsequent surveys by NJDEP showed that virtually all
the homes were >4 pCi/l, 40 were above 200 pCi/l and 5 were about
1000 pCi/l.  USEPA undertook an investigation of remediation techniques
in that development and eventually all the homes were remediated (i.e.,
brought below 4 pCi/l) by either EPA or their owners.  Dr. Karl Muessig,
Acting State Geologist (kmuessig@dep.state.nj.us) may be able to
provide you with further information about the geology of the region.

Gerald Nicholls
609-633-7964
gnicholl@dep.state.nj.us

>>> "Tom Savin" <lexicon@hotbot.com> 05/25/00 08:00am >>>
Greetings radsafers:

An interesting question came up in a recent conversation - it was
speculated that limestone (480 million years old (Ordivician age) could be
a source of radon.  I tended to disagree because I think that it had plenty
of time to escape while it was sedimented underwater.  Does anyone
know anything about this or can recommend a reference.  Thanks

                                Tom

HotBot - Search smarter.
http://www.hotbot.com