Re: more on Critics Allege Infant Mortality Rate

Anyone care to make an editorial response to the Mangano article?

Craig Little

At 02:25 PM 4/26/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks to Mr. Baker for the URL.
>
>I just checked Colorado Vital Statistics for infant mortality rates from
>1989 to 1998 for Larimer & Weld Counties, Colorado.  Mr Mangano claims
>these are downwind of the (ex)Fort St. Vrain reactor.  Maybe, maybe
>not.  Anyway, infant mortality rates did in fact decline in that
>period.  Guess what?  They did in the rest of the State too.  Hooray for
>modern medicine and neonatology.
>
>I recommend checking infant mortality rates (and other endpoints if you
>can find them) for "downwind" counties around reactors that did not close
>in the period in question.  If the rates declined in the same manner, you
>can pretty much discount reactors as having anything to do with the effect.
>
>Regards,
>Tony Harrison
>Colo. Dept. of Public Health & Environment
>tony.harrison@state.co.us
>(303)692-3046

>For those of you interested in reading Mangano's article:
>
>http://www.stockton-press.co.uk/eet/v2n1/pdf/7600024a.pdf
>

>Mike
>
>__________________________
>Michael C. Baker
>
>Environmental Technology Group
>Los Alamos National Laboratory
>Mail Stop J594
>Los Alamos, NM 87545
>
>mcbaker@lanl.gov
>
>(505) 667-7334 (phone)
>(505) 665-8346 (fax)
>(505) 996-3519 (pager)

+       Craig A. Little, Ph.D.                                  +
+       Grand Junction Office                                   +
+       Assessment Technology Section                   +
+       Life Sciences Division                          +
+       Oak Ridge National Laboratory                   +
+       2597 B&3/4 Rd.                                  +
+       Grand Junction, CO 81503                                +
+       970/248-6201 (voice) 970/248-6207 (fax)         +