Re[2]: Contamination from Air Flow in Drain Systems

I will be out of the office from June 20 through July 4, returning July 5th.

Please contact Jennifer Smulling on x2978 if you need imediate assistance.

Subject: Re: Contamination from Air Flow in Drain Systems
From: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
Date: 06/20/00 09:15:19

We have had some success controlling noble gas movement in the floor drain
system with a retrofit trap device that fits into the floor drains called a
"Dranjer".  I'm not sure of the manufacturer but they are available at
http://members.nova.org/~dsaum/index.htm These are commonly used in radon
mitigation applications for basement floor drains connected to drywells.
Similar to your loop seals, you have to keep them filled with water on some type
of routine basis.  A word of caution, they may restrict drain flow somewhat and
should be evaluated against any design basis for operability issues.

Billy Cox
Seabrook Station
Health Physics
(603) 773-7319