Re: Use of OSL Dosimeters for Environmental Monitoring

Chris Hofmeyr stated the following:

> MHO any device which needs processing at a distant
> location is at a disadvantage, as any 'in transit' corrections to the
> registered dose adds variance and therefore degrades the precision of
> results.

Hi Chris,

It was a pleasure seeing you again a few weeks ago. I enjoyed the
dialogue.

First comment ... Since it appears that the Draft N13.29 Standard for
Environmental Monitoring has been resurrected, the levels to be
measured are similar to the N13.11 Standard, and do not even address
environmental levels.

Now let me address your comment:

(1) Any measuring device has to be assessed to ensure that what is
intended to be measured, can be within the technical constraints of
the device. Once that is done, then ..

(2) The attributes of the device must be assessed in order to
determine the variables that cause error within the measurement
obtained. In your example, transit dose is just one of many factors.

(3) The over-all measurement of uncertainty can be calculated and
used to determine the effectiveness of the measurement.

(4) The issue you raise is one that really doesn't address a device,
but rather an opinion on whether or not any device should be sent off
for analysis. When considering this, one must also look at the risk
of a reported response having some degree of variation. The real
question is, how much error are you willing to live with? In any
measurement of environmental background, how accurate and precise is
any measuring device? Take a micro-R meter .. how accurate is its
measurement? In my opinion, it is no better than, or no worse than
any passive device. It too is only as good as its calibration,
maintenance and, the knowledge of the individual using it.

In conclusion. any device, with all of the known factors that can be
assessed, that have an affect on the measurement, should be capable
of being used for environmental monitoring. The errors we're talking
about are small. There is much evidence to support this. The risk of
any error within the measurement should be of little consequence, and
not be a concern to anyone.

Regards,

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205