DEXA Scans on Children

Do any of you have experience performing DEXA (Dual Energy X-ray
Absorptiometry) scans on children. Our Radiation Safety Committee is
wrestling with this issue. Even though the dose is low, <1.5 mRem, we are
considering basic research proposals that include scanning children as
young as 2 years old. Specifically, have you allowed scans of children at
your institution and have there been any restrictions or other
considerations made.

Chuck Pickering, RSO
University of Southern California
323-442-2200