Re: Nuclear Power

Al, Sandy and others,
The anecdotal experiences of Pam Watson and Don Kosloff can be taken as an
'illustrations' of variable sensitivity and reactions to "insults" on
hearing and sight, respectively ('proof' is more difficult).   I have heard
authoritative statements that individuals differ enormously in their
tolerance of chemical insults to their metabolism, due to differences in
genetic makeup and also in the efficacy of cellular repair mechanisms
(particularly DNA repair).
The point I want to make will hardly go down well with (radiation)
epidemiologists: it is quite conceivable that different individuals have
different susceptibility also to damage by radiation, and that some are
particularly vulnerable.   This could be due to differences in DNA repair
efficacy or to mutations (inherited or aquired) which predispose them to
some 'stochastic' effect.  One can speculate that with the advent of
genetic testing, this could possibly be investigated.
(Al, with my tongue firmly in my cheek, I would suggest that you are
fortunately relatively resistant, judging by your own anecdotal
experience).  I seem to propose a mechanism to support Pam and Lew's latest
comments.
Chris Hofmeyr
chofmeyr@nnr.co.za
NNR
PO Box 7106
Centurion 0046
South Africa

Sandy wrote:

                    "Sandy Perle"
                    <sandyfl@earthlink        To:     Multiple recipients of list
                    .net>                     <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
                    Sent by:                  cc:     (bcc: Christoph Hofmeyr/CNS1)
                    radsafe@romulus.eh        Subject:     Re: Nuclear Power
                    s.uiuc.edu

                    2000/07/14 05:35
                    Please respond to
                    radsafe

cause some hearing loss. Exposure to sound is well documented.
The fact that someone didn't have the same damage doesn't mean
there isn't a causal relationship. There are various factors to be
considered, such as duration of exposure, decibels of exposure
over time, condition of hearing prior to exposure to the noise etc.
The lack of an effect is only significant if there are large
substantiated numbers for similar conditions and effects.
Al wrote:

Even a nuclear weapon explosion is safe if you stay far enough away
from it.  I know.  I worked at the Nevada Test Site during atmospheric
nuclear
weapons testing and experienced many nuclear explosions up close and
personal.
Al Tschaeche antatnsu@pacbell.net