RE: US radiation safety limits not based on science-GAO

One other point to consider.  Please somebody correct me if I am wrong, but
I believe that the 25 mrem and 15 mrem limits are intended to cover the
completion of D & D operations, where the contractor can "walk away" after
achieving those limits, and the facility can be free-released.  If I recall
properly, this was the crux of the argument between the NRC and the EPA over
the value to use.  The previous practice had been to treat each situation on
an individual basis, which resulted in a wide range of limits and no
consistency of application.

This is as opposed to the 100 mrem limit, which assumes that there is an
active ongoing program in place to monitor releases and take action if they
are at risk of being challenged.

Doug Minnema, PhD, CHP
Defense Programs, DOE
<Douglas.Minnema@ns.doe.gov>

what few thoughts i have are truly my own.