Re: Nuclear waste needs a home . . . someplace

At 09:51 PM 7/18/00 -0500, Ted Rockwell wrote:

>The writer's heart was in the right place, and that deserves kudos.  But I
>don't think we should buy the idea that it is dangerous to leave the waste
>right where it is--for decades, if necessary.....I see no reason to get
all that stuff on the road to Nevada, >with protesters throwing themselves
in front of the trucks, and the people carrying out the
>operation (DOE) having announced that they will kill many people by the
>trivial radiation doses to by-standers.  DOE and NRC are also saying that it
>is not clear that the Yucca Mtn specs can ever be met.
July 19, 2000
Davis, CA

Dear Ted:

Well, the editor of the San Jose Mercury News, like the general public,
doesn't distinguish between "nuclear" waste and "radioactive" waste. In
reading the article you will see that it concerns the California Governor's
advisory group on low-level radioactive waste disposal and the activities
of the Southwestern Compact. This is not a nuclear fuel issue. He should
have entitled his article "Radioactive waste needs a home", but I can
forgive him for this common error.

Otto

	Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
	Institute of Toxicology & Environmental Health (ITEH)
	(Street Address: Bldg. 3792, Old Davis Road)
	University of California, Davis, CA 95616
	E-Mail: ograabe@ucdavis.edu
	Phone:(530) 752-7754, FAX:(530) 758-6140